Thursday, September 16, 2010

Heartbreaking

I'm sitting here, on this beautiful Thursday afternoon, and I can't stop thinking about the sadness overtaking my heart. I'm attempting to do a study guide for geology, but for some reason I can't seem to focus on amino acids when my hometown is in so much pain. Sunday night was a shock, and it blinded so many people. Today is insanely hard, he'd be 19 today. How could someone so young do this? And someone who seemed so happy? But that is the mystery of life and we will never know the answers to the numerous questions that are now forever running through our minds.

I won't pretend that I knew Zach that well, or was even really ever friends with him. But I knew him to an extent, and the more I think about it, the more little memories flood back to me, making me more and more sad with each one. He was a light in everyone's life. I don't know a single person with a bad thing to say about him. His family adored him. My heart breaks for the Grillo family. I can't imagine they're pain. To think that the pain I feel is only a percent of what they feel is terrifying.

I wish I could be there tonight and tomorrow, if only to be a strength for the ones who are in so much pain. But I'm doing what I can from here, and am keeping everyone in my prayers. My heart goes out to the Grillo's and I'm constantly thinking about them.

If nothing else can be taken from this tragedy, let us all remember how precious life is. And just because someone says they're okay, doesn't mean that they are. Treasure those close to you, and never forget what they mean to you. It's never too late to say, "I love you," and you can never say it too many times. My heart goes out to everyone at home, I'm thinking of you.

"Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

No comments:

Post a Comment